"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." - Mary Poppins


Friday, June 19, 2015

I am a coneflower fanatic. I have been growing them since I first started gardening in Iowa 20-odd years ago. They make such a "prairie" statement, especially when combined with grasses. The fancy new colors and sizes are just frosting on the cake. I do keep them sprayed with an organic caterpillar controller, though, as the leaf skeletonizing caterpillars will decimate them otherwise. This photo shows a planting of 'Cheyenne Spirit' mix.


I have collected several funny little heart-shaped faux birdcages. I sprayed them all jade-ite green and they now hang from 24" shepherd's hooks in various spots around the garden. Just for fun. The shrub behind the daylilies is a Longwood Blue caryopteris. Those are standards in my garden too. The butterflies love them.

I'm finally seeing that wild, exhuberant look I've been striving to achieve! Yay! Here: caryopteris, Russian sage, Karl Foerster feather reed grass and a Salvia gregii on the low right edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments. I enjoy hearing from my readers.